I adore Fall, it is my absolute favorite season. I love the crisp mornings, the colors of the changing leaves. I especially enjoy all the flavors of Autumn; cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger combined with apples, pumpkins and pears.
I thought I would share one of my favorite cupcakes to make in the fall. They are super easy to make and delicious! The browned butter frosting really makes the cupcake, but be careful not to burn the butter, it will have a scorched taste you will never be able to correct or cover.
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Browned Butter-Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
For the Cake
- 1 package Spice Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, not canned pumpkin pie mix
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
For the frosting
- 1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup)
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line cupcake pans with paper baking cups
- Mix all ingredients together, beating until just combined
- Pour about 1/4 cup batter into each cupcake liner and bake for 15-20 minutes
- Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of a cupcake, if it comes out clean they are ready
- Cool completely on wire racks
For the Frosting
- Cook butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until butter begins to turn golden brown. Immediately remove from heat. Pour butter into a bowl. Cover and chill 1 hour or until butter is cool and begins to solidify.
- Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in cinnamon and vanilla.
by Jennifer Morrisey
If you don’t have buttermilk substitute greek yogurt or combine 1/2 cup or regular milk and 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar and let set for a couple of minutes until the milk starts to curdle up a little bit .