I use all the self control I have at the grocery store not buy one, then come home and make 10 and eat half.
But really, I regret nothing.
They were awesome and my donuts are baked instead of fried, and made with coconut oil so they are practically healthy, right?
Ok, maybe not so healthy but still delicious.
To bake donuts you need a donut pan, they are pretty cheap and come in different sizes. Mine is nonstick but it still needs a good coating of oil or non-stick cooking spray. I avoided using it for a long time because I hated trying to spoon the donut batter into the pan, but I found a much better way! Use a ziploc storage bag like a pastry bag! It is a thousand times easier, and much less messy.
All that is missing is a cup of coffee!
Recipe adapted from: Taste and Tell
Baked Coconut Donuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespooons unsweetened coconut milk
- 3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- toasted coconut, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Spray a donut baking pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the coconut milk, eggs, coconut extract, butter and coconut oil. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, stir until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to a large zip top bag and cut off one corner. Pipe the batter into the donut pan, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake the donuts for about 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Once the donuts are cool, make the icing:
- In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, coconut milk and coconut extract. Carefully dip the tops of the donuts into the icing.
- Immediately dip into toasted coconut. Return the donuts to a wire rack for the icing to set up.
by Jennifer Morrisey