I love when the garden explodes with zucchini and summer squash. There is always more than we could ever use fresh, and I have not had a lot of luck freezing summer squash, so I like to prepare it into breads that freeze beautifully and pop those in the freezer for later.
Lemon Zucchini Bread with Lemon Glaze is a refreshing twist on zucchini bread. Using yellow summer squash makes a bright and cheery yellow loaf naturally without added food colors. I tripled the recipe to make 3 loaves into my freezer in one day. I think for the next batch I might experiment with zucchini and lime.
Lemon Zucchini Bread with Lemon Glaze
Lemon Zucchini Bread
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Juice of 1 lemon (or 2 Tablespoons lemon juice)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini (leave the peel on)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Grease a 8x4 inch loaf pan.
- Using your hands, squeeze as much liquid out of the squash as you can. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, salt,and baking powder; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the sugar, eggs, and oil. Then add the buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon extract until well blended.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently stir in the squash until the strands are separated and combined with the batter. Gradually add the flour mixture to the batter and gently fold it in, just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from heat, and cool about 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, and lemon juice to create a thin glaze. (Add more or less lemon juice to get the right drizzling consistency.)
- Drizzle over the top of loaves when cool.
by Jennifer Morrisey
If you like this recipe check out Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread, it has won ribbons at the County Fair!